Well- let me think. What is new: We have had a good amount of art classes here at Romp N Roll. It's been by big debut. It's really interesting teaching with an interpreter. It's hard because asking a question is a 4 step process.
#1. I ask the question
#2. Nana translates the question
#3. The child answers the question
#4. Nana translates the question back to me
It makes me want to stop talking. Just let Nana talk. I was observed today- and I think it went well. Well- our education specialist doesn't speak English. And I don't speak Chinese. But Nana said the one complaint is LESS interpreting. Which means I do MORE and MORE goofy hand signals and pointing. It has to be pretty amusing.
Today I had a pang of home sickness- I don't even know what triggered it. I write that hesitantly because I'm sure my family is looking for any excuse to have me come home. And- I'm not saying that I want to come home- but I am just missing people!
I did manage to sign on to facebook- so a hack around the great firewall of china does exist! Hurrah! It only works for Window's PCs- so I only have it at work. But it feels good to know that connection is available. Skype has been great! And everyday another friend will contact me! It's awesome!
I found out that Papa John's is over here. 50RMB for a pizza- less then 10 dollars. Along with KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Burger King, FroYo, and Subway. But apparently all of them serve chinese food and few American options. Dairy Queen is HUGE over here- which is surprising to me. And they serve the blizzard upside down- or it's free! That's one of the few phrases that's in English! Pizza Hut is a high end expensive restaurant for some strange reason- and I think we may have to do that soon. One thing that is funny to me- is that in America we don't really eat a lot of 'American' food. It's really weird for me to eat Chinese food all the time. For lunch today I had a GIANT bowl of noodles in tomato and egg sauce. I'm getting better with the chop sticks- but it is hard trying to break my Western manners. Over here you lean your face really close to your food and slurp loudly. Also picking the bowl up and slurping is considered good manners.
Tonight we are going out to Bar Street- and to quote my friend it cost 30RMB for 'huge glass of cocktail.' So excited! More updates later!!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment