Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 1

Day 1

I am officially counting today as day 1 here in Beijing. Yesterday was a blur.

The plane got there early and we had to circle around the airport waiting for clearance and it made everybody motion sickness. Ugh. Then we got off the plane and it was over 100 degrees! This is rare in Beijing. And their air conditioning is not equipped to deal with it...at all. I was super exhausted- I hadn't slept much. I exchanged my money and then off I went. Luyin my boss picked me up at the airport and another nice manager from Romp N Roll drove us the 45 minute drive in to the city.

First Impressions: There were lots of trees- everywhere. Which really surprised me- I've heard so many things about the pollution and lack of trees. Also- not as crowded as I thought. I think New York City is WAY more crowded- and not too bad of traffic either. Driving here is craziness- they don't go as fast but they change lanes and their minds easily, quickly, and they LOVE their horn. I mean they really LOVE their horn.

They quickly delivered me to an apartment- which we leased for 24 hours. (weird, right?) I jumped in the shower and flopped in to bed. And was out like a light. At some point they delivered Jill (my RNR partner in crime AND roommate) and she settled in while I snoozed. Later in the evening I woke up and JIll and I caught up. She got her internet hooked up and I made contact with the family. We then ran off to look at an apartment- which has been a issue for poor Jill. I don't know how many apartments she has looked at in the past few weeks. We saw one, which was only a 1 bedroom- not my style. As much as I like Jill- I don't think she and I need to be snuggling. :)
We ate dumplings (YUM) and walked home.

I feel super safe here on the streets. Although I have gotten a few stares- thats about as far as it goes. In India you would be approached and people would treat you like an oddity. Here- they just stare. Although a few over zealous english speakers have come to speak with us!

Today we got an apartment! Hurray! And moved in- DOUBLE Hurray! I took some quick shots. The first picture is my room- and my sweat leather leaf chair. The second is the view out our 10th story window...which is actually the 9th story...because they don't build floor #4, or floor #13,#14, #23,or #24 for that matter. All bad luck numbers.
Final (blurry) picture is our living room. Apartments come fully furnished here.

I took a 5 hour nap today....and I think I need to go back to sleep....pooped! I will try and keep the updates rolling :)

Peace out. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your leaf chair! it's looks comfy. and the living room looks sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you made it there safely! I already miss you and was thinking that we needed to find a pool, then realized that you were gone (tear)...Have tons of fun and take lots of pictures. I love your blogspot!

    ReplyDelete