Last week Herby was out Friday, Saturday & Sunday with a NASTY flu. Claire has been out. So what that meant is that the ONLY translator at Romp n' Roll Beijing for Saturday/Sunday was Ms. Nana. And what the meant for us English speakers is that Jill and I had to share a translator: AKA we were running classes SOLO. On Saturdays we typically run 6 classes in the morning, 3 in the afternoon and one night class. The morning classes overlap by at least 15 minutes so Nana was having to do the first half of an art class, then dashing across the facility to start Jill's babies class. Then back to my art class then back to Jill's music class THEN to my Runners class and then to Jill's construction class. It was a little hectic. And poor Nana came down with a stomach flu. Which more or less meant that in addition to the laps to the class rooms she was making laps to the bathroom. Finally, we had to do the UNTHINKABLE: we twisted Luyin's arm and made him be a translator. Things ACTUALLY worked out. Although occasionally I had to ELBOW Luyin in the arm to remind him to be translating.
By the end of the day Nana was in the hospital….because of the flu and Luyin was our one and only. We actually had one parent complain- but for not being a translator- he did a great job. He was even a little self conscious.
Jill and I had a lazy ish weekend. A little bit of the gym, a huge grocery shop in anticipation for spring festival. We hung out with a really nice guy from cali- had dinner and drinks. By Tuesday night we settled into what is to be really short work week.
Cut to Wednesday morning- and I wake up with the worst sore throat in recent memory. I don't remember the last time I felt like this. So I decided to stay home- rest it off and head into work for Thursday. Well…cut to Thursday….and I've gotten worse. No fever. But now my sore throat is accompanied by a runny nose, and cough. Luckily- I have enough DayQuil/Nyquil to keep off about 5 of these infections so I'm managing. In all honesty- it's been a long time since I have just had two days of laying around and doing nothing. It's been really nice. Even over my vacation in December I was never fortunate enough to get two days to myself. I have officially OD'd on bad TV, eaten enough ritz crackers to keep them in business for another decade, and I even believe there may be an imprint of my butt permanently on this couch. But- I think I'm going to brave work tomorrow.
Even better news is that Luyin has come to his senses and is letting Jill and I stay in our apartment for the remainder of our trip. Which- is a huge relief. I don't know what got into his head. But- he wasn't going to be able to drag Jill and I out of here easily. I guess what was most frustrating about the situation was the idea that even though we said we didn't like the idea he was pushing so hard. Especially to two of your most loyal, hard-working employees.
But here are the countdowns:
5 more days until Chinese New Year.
26 more days until I move to Wuhan.
80 more days until the Parents come!
87 days until I fly back to the USA for a visit.
157 more days till I fly home for good.
Crazy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment