Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hukou, you know?

Very rarely does a day go by in the Washington Post that China doesn't make some kind of headline.
Today, one really grabbed by attention and you should be able to read the article here---->China 'hukou' System Deemed Outdated

Short explanation- Here in China you are given a sort of 'Internal Passport' to prove residency of an area called a 'hukou.' Since they don't have social security and drivers licenses are still a new concept these tend to be a pretty important document. It allows you access to local health care, subsidized apartments, and access to public school. BUT- in certain areas it is hard to get a hukou- Beijing being the hardest area. The reason is that they want to prevent too many people trying to settle here and overwhelming the infrastructure. So-What does that mean? A good percentage of the population here pays taxes but gets no benefits from it. It doesn't effect my age group as much- but when you want to settle down/have kids it becomes a really big problem.

So I asked my co-workers- how does Hukou affect you? Nana is from Inner Mongolia (North West China) and Herby is from the noodle capitol (forgetting the name!) somewhere in the North East. So here are some interesting things they told me. That everything in the article is in fact true- and that a lot of girls who are not Beijing natives actually search out boy Beijingers. It also makes the universities here in Beijing harder for outsiders them to get into since they reserve spots for Beijingers. But on the flip side- there is a saying that people in Beijing tend to not acheive as much since everything is so easily given to them. It sounds like the impression was that Beijingers tend to be more blue collar workers rather then the higher ups. There are ways to get Hukou's- mostly through REALLY REALLY nice jobs. But it is difficult. Generally it sounds like an outdated system that in essence creates two classes of citizens. 

In other news I have a big government interview tomorrow for my work visa. I can't lie and say that I am not nervous. I have seen WAY too many episodes of 'Locked Up Abroad.' But as far as I know I am not trying to smuggle anything in or out so I should be OK. 

In other other news- I think I just got unofficial confirmation of my plane ticket home for Christmas. Which means- they'll be paying! Woot woot!

OK- I can't think of a better way to end a post- then with that positive news. PHEW! Exciting! :)
So you know the deal...love, love, love! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment