Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hi ho, Houhai!

As my time winds down I'm trying to make the most of...well...my time. I also want to show the "newbs" around and show them a good time in the great city of Beijing.
We went to Houhai lake, a man made lake towards the center of Beijing. Its surrounded by bars, shops, and restaurants with boat rentals all over. We grabbed lunch at a REALLY overpriced restaurant. It was mostly chinese food- but they had this amazing looking vegetable curry. When it came out it has an INCH of cheese on top. (See picture) While I'm one of Cheese's biggest fans- it really wasn't the curry I was looking for.

We then rented and hopped in a little electric boat and start zooming around the lake. AND by zooming- I mean we were racing turtles, snails, and other creatures that have not perfected forward motion with high amounts of momentum. But it was hilarious. AND then... much to our hilarious dismay out lack of engine came to a dull hum. Yes- we were stranded in the middle of the lake. Not to fear- there was a cellphone number for emergencies. So- I called the number and somebody picked up. I said, "Hello!" And they immediately hung up. So I called back, this time I tried in Chinese" "Wei! Nihao! Ni hui jiang yingyu ma?" (do you speak english) CLICK! Hung up again. I started feeling a little desperate. We were in S Lake without a paddle. So- I called a fluent Chinese friend to help us out but then out of the mist came our white knight. See picture. He seemed mildly annoyed- and then proceeded to macgyver only using a swiss army knife our engine back into existence. It was hilarious.

We then proceeded to April Gourmet- my favorite Western market in Beijing. Traffic hit as we went back to meet up with Beau, Alex, Stacey and Zach for dinner. We were meeting up in Gulou which is a very cute area near Houhai. It's not well known enough to be expensive but still has Western delights. Like MEXICAN food! We had a very nice dinner at Amigo's and then wandered the cute little hutong that it just south of the area. We ended up having roof-top drinks and retiring for evening. All in all it was a pretty perfect day. And that is how I want to spend the rest of my time here- relaxing, enjoying good company, and being out and about in the city.

I included an extra picture of a man performing water calligraphy. It's a sort of meditation activity where they write out poems, phrases and such in beautiful script. For me- I love the impermanence of it. The idea that while beautiful- nothing lasts forever. I love it.

Over and out. 26 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment