Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wuhan Woes

Well- last week when I was with out e-mail I wrote two SCATHING posts about Wuhan. But- luckily I have had time to "chill out" and I think I can write a more clear headed post now.

Well- Wuhan is well. Boring. I should've known when their Wikipedia page is painfully short. 

The first week was really, really rough. I was all alone in a strange city that is NOT Western friendly. After a week and after spending  a lot of time in other parts of the city I can still only count the number of Westerners I've seen on one hand. Now- don't get me wrong, there are weeks in Beijing on the Eastern side where I don't see another Westerner. But do a little traveling and sure enough- you'll bump into a few sooner or later.

My co-workers had shown me how to get to and from work from my apartment- and thats about it. My co-workers are VERY young. All of them are Wuhan natives and still live with their parents. Their parents actually still pack their lunches for them. We didn't have a microwave at first so they heated their meals at the next door restaurant. But that-ended when we got a microwave this week. And then nobody wanted to leave any more. And nobody took the time to show me  where good restaurants were- and I'm either too proud or too embarrassed to ask. They suggested I bring lunch everyday- but my stove top is broken. (sidebar: Actually- they suggest I pack a sandwich since that's what all American's eat....) I had to kind of just manage through. Translation: I've been eating Ramen Noodle for dinner every night. 

But- survival instincts kicked in and I got desperate. I ate at a china-brand version of KFC. It's really good- actually and for 13 RMB you get a value meal. AND a VALUE MEAL is like actually appropriately sized. But- since I'm not really  going to the gym here I'm trying to only eat there once a week.

We did hot pot on our night off which was fun. We ordered some beer to share....but I ended up drinking most of it. Remember when you were in high school- and there was always the random college student who was way too old but enjoyed hanging out with the highschoolers. I feel like THAT GUY. The girls asked me what it was like to go to a bar....and....they're all atleast 21 (in a country that doesn't have a drinking age...) 

We went shopping on our day off. And it was...nothing too special. Maybe I am spoiled by the markets of Beijing....but things were cheaper. Actually a lot of stuff here is cheaper. And when I have somebody around to help me: the local eats is GOOD!

But I have the ENTIRE series of LOST on DVD....and I'm all ready to season 2. This is great because I didn't start watching till season 3.  Man- and now there is a new whole list of characters I don't want to die but I know DIE because I've never seen them. #1 on that list is ECHO. Man- I love him. 

So. I'm surviving. And hey 18 44 53 70 123.

18 days till I'm back till Beijing
44 days till my PARENTS arrive in Beijing
53 days till I fly home to DC
70 days till CRISTINA comes to Beijing
123 days till my contract is up. :)

1 comment:

  1. woohoo LOST! I love the first few seasons... heck I love it all. I really didn't want Charlie to die(waaaaa)...

    65 days now?

    ReplyDelete