It's over.
I'm sitting in my parents house just outside of Washington D.C. The journey is over. I can't believe. It went by so fast. Part of me is ready to go back.
The past couple days of goodbyes have been hard. So many people I love dearly- and I don't know when I'm going to see them again.
But I do have some closing words to impart on you....(which might be followed by more blogs)
#1 Give us your....
I'm not going to lie- most of my friends are of the middle-class, white-bread variety. Most of us don't know what it feels like to be a minority. Most of us aren't very understanding of minorities here in America. Some people think they should be happy enough to just be here. And they should learn to speak English if they want to stay here.
Having lived as a minority for a year- Americans need to become more tolerant. We are a country of immigrants and minorities- that is what makes us great. We get the best of the best from all over the world. Let's not forget that ALL of us were immigrants once. And while I was in China not once was I ever shunned or ignored because of who I was. And when it comes to "just learning a language"- how many of you fluently speak a second language? How many of you took atleast 3 years of language? It just isn't that easy. So many times in China would a person who SPOKE zero English patiently try to help me as I mimed my way through a phrase. More often then not THEY ended up acting guilty for not knowing English. Imagine that perspective next time you get frustrated when you think somebody doesn't speak enough English.
#2 Government is of the people. It is not the people.
Often times when going abroad American's can get a bad wrap. It's because our Government can do some stupid stuff. And people get CONFUSED. They all of a sudden think that I am the same as my Government. And it's just not true. The same happens with China. Chinese people are not the same as their Government. They are even a little less liable since their officials aren't even elected. So the next time you think of China don't think if the PRC, communist loving, brain-washed, Mao worshipping people. They just don't exist. These stereotypes aren't true. The Chinese people are kind-hearted, welcoming people. They would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it- even if they had just met you. They are so excited to share their culture and their country with you. They didn't get to do that for a LONG time. And surprisingly enough, the people there are EXACTLY like the people here. We share the same daily struggles. The same hard-ships. There are the same personalities types. I have never believed more in my life that there is only ONE RACE- the HUMAN RACE.
#3 The Media does not always tell the truth.
The dragon has awakened- and America just might have a reason to give them a little bit of bad press. Our economy is failing, all the markets are in turmoil and China is just plugging along with their annual GDP projected to grow again this year. Do you think think the American government and media might benefit from making Americans a little anti-China? Making American citizens not want to buy a Chinese product? Bringing up the big bad "C" word, reminding us that anti-democracy= communism. It's sad. But don't listen BLINDLY to every story coming out of China. No- they are not a perfect country. But neither are we. You can't judge a country by the stories the newspapers choose to print over here.
#4 You give them money! And they take you places!
Travel. If I have ONE piece of advice it's TRAVEL. You have never learned more about yourself, the human race, psychology, and your country by stepping OUTSIDE of it. And it's so much EASIER then you would think- honestly as Joseph put it "you give them money, show up, and you arrive in another part of the world." Stop reading about amazing places and visit them. If your smart you won't need to bring much money for souvenirs because you'll realize that the pictures are worth more then any tchotchke you can bring back. You also become a personal ambassador of America. Because when people meet a thoughtful traveler, who is interested in their people and their cultures, they will start remembering THAT as an American and not some war-hawk, fat-cat in a suit on TV.
No comments:
Post a Comment