Monday, November 8, 2010

One Sick Puppy

I wish there was a puppy. 

Alas- no puppy- just some kind of chest cold. And a new turtle...but thats a different story.

Still no heat. The official OFFICIAL word is some time on the 15th the heat will go on. But who knows if they meant November of this year....or possibly November 2011. Here's hoping.

This cold struck me earlier in the week. Sore throat, achy ears, wheezing. But when you are just 1 of 2 instructors the show must go on. Actually- I chose to work. I'm sure if I asked they would cancel classes in a heart beat. But I got through all my classes and now I have staked out a very comfy spot on the couch. I'm surrounded by two heaters and two comforters with a hot water bottle tucked in to my shirt. I'm just trying to rest and I have been gifted some chinese medicine.  Thank you Luyin! (Although- Luyin did not initially tell me it had to be mixed with water. So thank you to Nana for saving me from taking my medicine improperly.)

Now they gave me two types of Chinese Medicine. Which surprisingly are in boxes that look much like anything else you would pick up at a CVS in the 'cold/cough' aisle. They say OTC on them- so they can't be anything too bad. I asked my boss about it once- since he has lived in America for a long time about his views on Eastern vs Western Medicine. His view: Western Medicine does a good job treating the symptoms. Eastern medicine treats the cause. I guess we shall see. (I'm TRYING to be open minded about this)

Once opened- inside the package are 20-30 little envelopes. You open up the envelope- and it looks like a big package of yeast. Seriously. I got out a warm glass of water and mixed it in. And well- bottoms up. The first packet I took today tasted a lot like brown-sugar water. No complaints there. The other type of Eastern Medicine (Ganmao Qingre Keli) tasted like moth balls. So- I'm not sure if I will continue to take this one.

Am I feeling better? It remains to be seen. But- when in Rome..... 

Another thing about Chinese medicine is that it's goal is always to squelch the 'inner fire.' Now- I think 'inner fire' is a good thing. And when put to proper use, 'inner fire' can be a great thing. But the Chinese are VERY much against it. Jill and I asked what happens if you have too much 'inner ice'- but everybody looked at us like we were crazy. So apparently- no such thing as 'inner ice' (which may explain why they don't turn their heat on until November. I personally think that I have developed a bad case of inner ice from sleeping in 30 degrees night after night.) So- my sickness is coming from too much fire in a certain part of my body- and the herb will seek and destroy wherever my fire is. So here's hoping it puts my fire out. Or else we just might have to make s'mores. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you are a sick puppy..if it helps I am not feeling too great either; i feel like i am on the brink of something not good. We checked in with you last night via skype but you must have been sleeping. Glad this is your weekend and you can rest and feel better soon. Let us know how the medicines work for you. I am thinking that since you are not Chinese, perhaps your inner fire will not be squelched by a Chinese medicine. Take it easy and lots of hugs and kisses. Mom

    ReplyDelete