It's funny to think that how many ideas are cultural- even though at one point in our lives we all believe that OF COURSE a dog in Guatemala, Portugal, and Vietnam all would BARK. But alas, no, they all make a strange assortment of noises. Being a pre-K teacher, of course, these animal discussions have come up. And I wanted to share with you- what I have learned- what animals say in China.
Dogs go Wong Wong. No joke. This one- has been the hardest one to accept. I have actually tried to listen to dogs barking here desperately trying to hear a 'W' or an 'ONG.'
Ducks say Ga Ga
Frogs say Gua Gua
Roosters crow GeGeGeGe (Pronounced Guh Guh Guh) This one has made me wonder which is weirder- their version or our western Cock-A-Doodle-Doo. I also heard that they say OhOhOhhhhhh!
Hens don't cluck, they say GeGeDaaa!
Cows go Mer (Muurrr) I agree whole heartedly, I have never EVER heard a cow 'moo!'
Birds call Jiu Jiu (Ju Ju)
I didn't include any that were boringly similar. Chinese Cats DO say Meow. Lame.
Believe me- this has led to some VERY interesting renditions of Old MacDonald- where I loudly and proudly sing out my western animal noises- as the Chinese parents stare at me with the most puzzled look on their faces.
Also- they sing the ALPHABET wrong! The rhythm is all wrong- they don't say 'LMNOP' quickly- they keep time. Which ends up messing up your end AND you are forced to sing "XYZ- XYZ- Now you see- I can sing my ABC's" :)
No comments:
Post a Comment