Today I got a call from the Hanover County School Board Office.
They offered me a full time position teaching graphic arts at Lee Davis.
I'm sitting in a half packed apartment with a plane ticket to Beijing.
How crazy life is.
I turned it down. I did. Not just because I have a contract but because I would be missing out on the adventure of a life time. And some people won't understand. They aren't going to be able to process why I would say no to a full time salary and benefits- to go live off of minimum wage on the other side of the world. I don't think my family is going to understand. I think a lot of people think that I took China as a last resort. When in reality I took it as a way out. Not that I was unhappy- but I never saw myself as a teacher for the next 35 years. And the longer I would have stayed the less likely I would have been to leave.
I will miss my students. I already miss my coworkers. And adore them. The surprise today was amazing. They are amazing people who are miracle workers- literally. And work in the one of the most under appreciated professions.
I'm not sure I quite understand myself- but I know that I have to go have this adventure. And I look forward to seeing all of you when I get back.
Monday, June 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a crazy phone call that must have been....and I must say I am proud of you for sticking to your guns. How easy would it have been to say "Yes !! I'll take the job !" ... I honestly believe you would have rested peacefully in knowing that you had a full time job with benefits, BUT you would have regretted NOT going to China and experiencing all that you will. I believe God has a plan for you in that country, and I can't wait to hear about your adventures. You are a very cool person and lots of fun to be around. The children will LOVE you and you will adapt quickly ... best of luck to you girly .. I love you and I will miss your FOREVER SMILING face at Liberty .. we need more of that !!
ReplyDeleteVickie Dodson