Friday, February 4, 2011

Yu Garden & Bazaar

This day was our last full day in Shanghai. BTW- little factoid you don't say it Shang (rhymes with pang) but actually more like 'Shung' (rhymes with dung.)

Anyway- the day began LATE. Jill and I slept in and I was feeling rough- so we started slow. On our journey to the garden Jill and I stumbled upon a FRENCH bakery that actually baked FRENCH pastries. This is a HUGE step up from the normal Chinese style bakeries. They are OK- but something about it just isn't real. But this one: magnifique! The croissant tasted like it was straight from Paris and the elephant ear was flakey and sweet and delicious. We loaded up on the pastries and ambled on to the garden.

One thing I loved about this garden and shops was that it finally looked the way I imagined China to look. The hook shapes eaves on the buildings was EXACTLY how I had pictured China…but had yet to see. The shops themselves were tourist traps- but it was all decorated up for Spring Festival. 

The gardens were built in the 1500's by a son for his father. Since then they have changed hands many times- but is now owned by the merchants who's shops surround the garden. This garden is considered the BEST example of Chinese gardens. I do feel it is one of the prettiest I have seen here.

It has a huge rock collection- called a rockery. They are seen all over China- but this one you got to climb through and under you explore the garden.

My favorite feature is the dragon wall. The wall winds through and around the entire garden, undulating up and down, and then at each end is a GORGEOUS dragon head. Really impressive! 

One other great thing- is that it isn't that big but it FEELS massive. You get lost in it. It also feels centuries away from the bustling city that surrounds it. You feel as if any moment somebody may step out of the Ming dynasty and walk right by you.



No comments:

Post a Comment