Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chills Down Your Spine

Some of you may have been wondering where I have been the past couple days. I have been decidedly absent from my blog. But don't worry- it's not because I don't love you. It's just that I've been defrosting my fingers. I tried writing a blog a few days ago- but had to take my gloves off to be able to type. While I was formulating my thoughts- my fingers froze to my macbook's metal case- and I've been defrosting them ever since. Imagine the scene from 'A Christmas Story'- except nobody double dog dared me.

Ok- enough with the silliness. It it fricken' cold in Beijing. And I mean COLD. Now- many of you- when I tell you the temperature ranges have scoffed at my complaining. But let me explain something to you. 45 degree to 50 degrees in Beijing doesn't just apply to the outdoors. No, no. Apparently, we are legally prevented from turning on our heat until November 14th. None of the buildings have it on. Which means 45 degrees is also your indoor temperature.  Just think about that for a minute- while you go to bump your thermostat up a couple of degrees. Imagine ALL day being in 45 degree weather. ALL DAY. No relief. Also- for you Virginians, it's not suppose to be this cold on Oct 1. Maybe mid-November. I've been wearing my winter jacket for 2 weeks!

So- Jill and I have resorted to layering. Layering like it is nobody's business. At one point Jill and I- while sitting at work- each had on 3 pairs of pants, 2 t-shirts, a sweat shirt, a jacket and a hat. Another trick is shoving hot water bottles in various layers of cloths. At night we sleep with layers of blankets, in addition to multiple pairs of pajamas. Let me tell you- this sucks.


**UPDATE**

Our prayers have been answered. Our apartment complex is 'testing' the heating systems and have turned the HEAT ON! For real! We have HEAT! :) Jill and I had the first good night sleep and I did NOT have to sleep in my FLEECE JACKET! Hallelujah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment